Who is it for?
This 2 day Train the Trainer course is suitable for all those who are looking to develop their training skills in this field. The course will be run over 2 days with the second day being run approximately a week after Day 1.
Aim of course:
To enable participants to deliver Mental Capacity Act (MCA) and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (DOLS) awareness level training to staff within their own organisations.
Applicants must have attended the MCA and DoLS Basic Awareness Training Programmes and hold an attendance certificate for this which is no more than 12 months old in order to access this course. Evidence will be required when booking onto this course.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Develop Confidence and skills to undertake training within your workplace
- Identify the key aspects of the Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards that need to be included in the training to be delivered
- Ability to plan key MCA and DoLS sessions
- Consider how they will use key materials to deliver MCA and DOLS training within their service area
- Demonstrate how the use of key source documents will be used to answer key questions
- Explore a range of methods to deliver the training, considering the different learning styles of staff
- Identify potential barriers to delivering effective training sessions, and consider solutions to overcome these
- Explain how they will evaluate the effectiveness and impact of the training.
Content Covered Across Day 1:
- Current legislation
- Policy & Procedures
- The Assessment Procedure
- What is meant by Best Interests
- What Protection is available for decision makers
- Understand the limits of restraint issues
- Understand the roles of various people involved
- List the functions of the Mental Capacity Act
- Describe the groups that will be affected by the legislation
- Explain what is meant by the functional test
- Explain the role of Lasting Power of Attorneys
- Explain the Depraviation of Liberty Safeguards including up to date rulings regarding the ACID test
- Describe the function of the Court of Protection
Train the Trainer elements:
- How to vary teaching methods
- Adapting to various Learning styles
- How people retain information
- Building in feedback to your sessions
- Planning your session
- Preparing the individual lesson plan
- Evaluation processes
- Presentation skills
- Do’s and Don’ts
- Participants will undertake presentations on an agreed theme from Mental Capacity Act and Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards – Each theme will last no more than 15 minutes
This will involve:
- A session plan on the agreed theme
- A Case Study / An activity
- Creative training methods
- Evaluation tool
DATES GUIDELINE FOR 2018:
DAY 1 DAY2
Monday 22nd Jan 2018 Monday 29th Jan 2018
Monday 19th July 2018 Monday 27th July 2018
Monday 19th Nov 2018 Monday 26 Nov 2018
About the Trainer:
Cathy Neat is an experienced National MCA and DoLS Master Practitioner and Lecturer who works closely with legal services and key organisations to ensure sound legal practice in all aspects of Adult Social Care.
Handouts, materials and refreshments will be included in the price. This course is certificated.
Cost of the course: £299.00 plus VAT
Please note: Dates may be subject to change.
Tickets are not available as this event has passed.